Monday, December 24, 2007

Oklahoma Incident

While driving through Oklahoma, we (Driver Ramon aka “El Capitan”) were pulled over by an Oklahoma State Trooper (State Trooper Will). This is the story from various perspectives 1. Ramon (El Capitan) and 2. A passenger. State Trooper Will could not be reached for comment.

Ramon – El Capitan’s Perspective:

As I was driving through the Oklahoma Panhandle and enjoying the country side view. I was pull over by State Trooper Will. I did not know why I was being pull over, but I assumed it was a routine stop for the California plates. Trooper Will asked me to show him my license and then told me that I was driving over the speed limit. I told him that I was going below the speed limit not over, but he responded by asking me to walk over to his patrol car. While in side the patrol car he asked me about the number of passengers in the van and if they had identification. I told him that yes all of the passengers had their Identifications and that we were all student volunteers for the Richardson Presidential campaign in Iowa (Road Runners). He then went to check on the passengers and soon came back to ask me who is the big guy in the back of the van, and I told him he is the person (Gary) that will help turn around this country. He did not like my response and he told me that I was going to get a ticket for speeding. Finally, I told Trooper Will that I can prove that I was not driving over the speed limit by showing him the last posted speed sign on the highway. He then drove back to the last speed sign that showed 65 mph speed limit. Trooper Will then tied to convince me that he was a good person, not one that profiles Latinos for undocumented persons and he told me that there was another sign about one mile back that read 45 mph, Oklahoma Trooper Will finally decided to only give me a "warning" because he said it was the day before Christmas eve. He concluded that he was just trying to do his job (based on his lack of knowledge and the poor on the job training he must have received lol) who could blame the guy?Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. - Ramon Quintero, aka "El Capitan"

No comments: